Thursday, August 18, 2011

Dharmo Rakshati Rakshitaha

We have all come across the famous saying "Dharmo Rakshati Rakshitah". But what does it really mean. The most simplest and easiest translation is - "Dharma protects the one who protects Dharma". I first heard this saying from my father when I was about 10 years old. 
While I am still trying to figure out what "Dharma" means - it reminds me of a story my dad told me back then to make it easier for me. It goes something like this... One day when Shri Adi Shankarachaarya was walking along with his disciples, he saw an old man under a tree. Shri Shankarachaarya was surprised on seeing this old man because the tree was bending to provide its fruit to the old man. It was an awe-inspiring sight. Shri Shankaraachaarya approached the old man and asked him about his astonishing power. The old man replied by saying "I have been working under this tree throughout my life. I have been making a living by selling the fruit from this tree. This is my Svadharma. This tree has always been my Aadharam. As Shri Krishna paramathma once said that performing one's duty with utmost dedication and pure intentions is Dharma. And for such a person nothing is impossible. Now since I am old and cannot climb the tree to get the fruit and sell it. The tree bends itself and gives me its fruit. Since I never left my Svadharma and performed my Dharma with dedication and pure intentions my Dharma is saving me now." Showing the example of this old man's life Shri Adi Shankarachaarya said to his disciples "Can there be a better example to say that Dharmo Rakshati Rakshitah"
From this, I derive this - "Dharma" may not be a set of rules. It may be more about the duties we perform on a daily basis while following "yamas" and "niyamas". And these duties keep changing at every stage of our life. This is Dharma. And all those who do this, will know how Dharma protects those who protect Dharma. Yamas and Niyamas are ethics and moral values.


Yamas: Ahimsa (non-violence), Satya (truthfulness), Asteya (non-stealing), Brahmacharya (abstinence when single and faithful when married), Kshama (forgiveness), Dhriti (steadfastness), Daya (compassion), Arjava (honesty), Mitahara (moderate appetite), Shaucha (purity).


Niyamas: Hri (remorse), Santosha (contentment), Dana (giving), Astikya (faith in Guru), Ishvarapujana (worship of God), Siddhanta Shravana (scriptural listening), Mati (developing spiritual will), Vrata (fulfilling religious vows), Japa (chanting mantras), Tapas (endurance).


There maybe a lot more to "Dharma" than my simple derivation here. But that is just my analysis. Any input is welcome. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. A good story for "Dharma" . That one word is like a vast ocean, the first word of bhagawad Gita.

    The last word of bhagawad gita is "mama" (Mine)

    The first and the last together when we read it becomes My dharma. The complete Gita explains "My Dharma"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful theme and excellent writing... Good luck for many more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Krishna: True raman. It is very difficult to understand and to explain. but it is true. thank you for reading.
    @laks: You are the inspiration i talked in my first post.. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete